Sunday, April 12, 2015

Mirror, mirror, how old am I?


How old am I
                       you asked me
as though I were here first
                       which I was
You were talking with your Grandma
                        enjoying and knowing she'll be
passing soon...

My cousin was born when I was a decade
                        or so already checked-in
She just passed Route 30,
                          her two young girls fine blonde hair
flying in the wind-will be snarled soon enough
                          stopping at the next town “Generation"
just passing thru...

A childhood friend who lost his mother
                            before I could find him again
noticed the 5 o'clock shadow of quitting time
                             resigned to put in some over-time
got a promotion of fast-track
                             merging lane, death draws closer 
but he blazes by....faster than 65

Last time I checked, I was wise
beyond my years
double checking lines, they cue my fears
the scale to weigh the time
gets heavier with one foot off
gauging the mass I now carry
until weightless without reflection.

Composed 4/12/15.




Image By Shymanski, Robert [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons. 1933, Hegeler Carus Mansion. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Half-dozen Mud cakes

Back to wood decks, quarter-size spiders, webs, moss  and creatures stirring in the hollow nights Back to no side-walks and skirting into th...