Sunday, April 26, 2015

Botanical blasphemy



Perhaps someone knowledgeable could assist me
as to the origins of some common names in Botany?

Some terms now seem offensive-
so I shall tread rather pensive.

Did miner's really desire a salad to eat
on the golden trail, seeking mini lettuce under feet?

What about the poor mother in law
who gifts sharp tongues out of her barrel cactus maw?

Did anyone talk to the Jew who was wandering-
who was maybe not lost, just walking and pondering?

I'd like to think the Indians could not live without Art,
and chose paintbrushes of flowers, or anything with a pretty part.

Or that the Japanese would build little boxes-
from the stalk of little shrubs, even using bonsai axes.

Perhaps Pliny picked a pepper,
his ghost seed carried a la zephyr.

There are some names I'm sure my family just made up
banana succulent, kangaroo paw, elephants foot, the Scarlet cup

I like those names that are easy to say
as opposed to the other twisted Latin way

which are often coded insults to lower species
all of which happen to thrive in feces

In my observation, the plants I've given a common name
have a special glow not like their anonymous or Latin same

Have you tried this too?
I was just wondering if you knew...



Image of Miners Lettuce By glmory (Own work) [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Half-dozen Mud cakes

Back to wood decks, quarter-size spiders, webs, moss  and creatures stirring in the hollow nights Back to no side-walks and skirting into th...