Friday, October 17, 2014

Don't Get the Fax Machine



What is this Generation Gap
but a simple Leap of Faith?
You know how it goes,
these things sometimes skip,
trip and blunder our brains.
The Concept of Change
is quite strange
after all
it’s hard to understand
thingy-majigs, do-hickeys,
tech-no-ology and such.
Magically transforming words into air
or so, that's what my grandfather thought…
Is that what He is supposed to Believe?
That this mail comes through the trees?
Telephone poles and wires really-
not the pigeon type of messenger birds, silly!
This fancy fandangle thing,
that like a phone will ring-
it is called a ‘facsimile machine’.
Didn't Graham Bell teach you anything?!
It answers without words, taking pixelated note;
thinking, churning-you mean pictures now float?
They're all just dots
like coded language, recorded spots
(and although I continued to try to explain
stretching this bridge-span causes great pain.
And since my message would not go through
I tried an older language he maybe knew)
Ignoti mulla cupido*
Beati pauperes spiritu**
Deus ex machina?!***
Major e longinquo reverential****

I’ll not forget the Father that was Grand
as Father time keeps waving his hand.
I carried your weight in Irons and Wood.
You always knew I would turn out Good.
The genes you left me were of durable supply,
Even still after all these working years gone by
I still try to understand you the best I can-
what it was being a heroic and honest man
who marvels at the little things
like why the fax machine rings
if you’re not supposed to Answer it?

It is a perplexing device, I admit.

In Latin:
* The unknown does not tempt
**Lucky are those of a poor mind
***God out of machine

****Viewed from a distance, everything is beautiful

*Latin:The unknown does not tempt
**Lucky are those of a poor mind
***God out of machine
****Viewed from a distance, everything is beautiful



Image credit:By Quadissimus (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons


No comments:

Post a Comment

Half-dozen Mud cakes

Back to wood decks, quarter-size spiders, webs, moss  and creatures stirring in the hollow nights Back to no side-walks and skirting into th...